Monday, July 7, 2008

So, was it life changing...

I have been asked this a couple times, was it life changing? I would have to say, “Yes, it was life changing”. How? Well, I am still working through that question so I am going to start typing and see what comes out of it. I was very impacted by this trip on a number of levels and I am still sorting through it all in my mind to try to process everything that we experienced on this trip.

I saw God every day of this trip in all different ways.

I saw God in the hearts, eyes, actions, laughter, and tears of my fellow teammates (team two was amazing).

I saw God in the people of Uganda that materially had so little, though relationally had so much.

I saw God in hearts of those in Uganda that were serving us (the guards, the cooks, the bus driver).

I saw God in the outpouring of love of the local GFR staff there in Uganda who love the people there so much and give so much to see them get the needed help.

I saw God in my son Luke, playing with the children there in Africa and building relationships with them.

I saw God in the smiles of children.

I saw God in the tears of children.

I saw God in the widows that hugged us.

I saw God in a man with AIDS that hugged us.

I saw God in us hugging that man back.

I don’t think I have ever felt and experienced God like I did on this trip. Being a part of this trip allowed me to experience the heart of God that I had not experienced before.

Throughout this entire trip, I saw and experienced Christ’s love more than I have ever before. I saw and experienced this great ability to love – unconditionally. I saw and experienced relationships that were truly amazing.

So for me, this trip turned out to not be as much about what we could give to the people of Uganda (though that was amazing in and of itself), or even what they could give to us (which was also amazing). For me, it was about experiencing a deeper and more personal relationship with Jesus than I have ever experienced before. It’s not about what I have done or what I can or will do; it is only and all about what Christ has done for us. He loves us so much and wants to have a personal relationship with us so much that He died on the cross for us, paying the cost of our sin so that we may have an eternal relationship with Him. That is true love. That is an unbelievable relationship.

This is what I experienced in Uganda – the Love of Christ – a relationship with Christ. What an amazing gift that is to have received. Thank you Lord.

2 comments:

Linda Baer said...

Brilliant perspective on your mission work. Though I don't know you, your last blog brought me to tears. Not because of the words on the page, but because of the love for Christ that is visible through your eyes and your experience. God bless you as He continues to work in your heart. I hope and pray that His love is contagious through your experience!Linda

Tony Hood said...

Great Blog! Bill (Sr.) was telling me about your trip so I thought I would google you and read about it.