Thursday, June 26, 2008

Some great work done today

We primarily worked on the Pastor's house today. We also had a team working on the church doing some final painting.

Everything is very manual here. We needed to move a pile of dirt from next to the church to fill the main room of the Pastor's house so they can then pour a floor. We hoed the pile of dirt (it was pretty hard stuff), then shoveled into a wheel barrel and into small containers where a line of about 20 women would pass it hand to hand to the house to dump into the floor of the house. Crazy work - could have been done in a couple minutes with the right equipment, but a cool process to be a part of.

We also had the opportunity to help out a couple children. One mom brought her child who was sick with Malaria. The child was very hot. We gave the mom some money to take the child to the doctor and get medicine. Literally, in these types of situations, this child may have died without this help. So awesome to be here to help. Another child had some very serious issues. I won't go into the details, but it was very bad. We gave the mom some money to get her to the bigger doctors in capital of Uganda - Kampala. There were more issues than we could help, but was still great to be able to help a few and know that we were making some significant difference.

Below are some pictures from today.

If you ever hear me complain about taxes, just remind me of the Uganda roads. Can you image a 20 passenger bus driving down this road - it does. Relative to driving in Uganda, there are essentially no rules beyond biggest vehicle wins. You may pass someone whether or not there is another vehicle coming. Driving on the shoulders is the norm. Passing someone while someone else is passing you - happens often.


Luke and his friend Mike walking with some African children.


Doing some work - have the blisters to show for it now - guess my computer hands were not as tough as I thought they were.




A snap shot of some of the ladies passing the containers full of dirt hand-to-hand to the pastor's house as part of the floor/foundation.


Hey, look who showed up to help and work. Robert, the father with AIDS that our family supports came to help (see previous blog on more details about Robert and his family). If you look closely at Robert's shirt, you will see it say "Yantra", my past company. I had just brought him that shirt and others a couple days ago. Was great working side by side with him.




Luke and his friend Mike giving some soccer balls to the children at the church


This is the little child that had a bad fever and the mother said had Malaria. We gave the mom some money to get her some medicine.


Lunch being prepared - we eat a ton of fruit here. The pineapple is incredible.


Church in progress...


Some of the ladies on our team feeding the local women and children some peanut butter and jelly sandwhiches. When they got out the food, women and children just flocked around. It was pretty amazing to watch.


This was the water hole that the villager used to use to get their water. Can you image this being your primary water source?


Water wells are now up and running.


Luke carrying the water - very heavy


Here, let me show you how it's done


Look mom, no hands. This isn't so hard...


OK, I dropped it...


By the way, thank you for all the comments on the blogs. We really enjoy reading those and really appreciate the kind words and thoughts. Thank you!! Luke and Gene

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm really enjoying reading the blog and seeing the pictures! What an incredible experience for both of you! It's hard to imagine the impact this will have on you.
Bonnie Bulger

Maureen Field said...

Hi Luke and Gene,
You may get 2 comments almost the same, we sent one but it hasn't shown up, so will repeat....
Last night we went to dinner with a large group of neighbors before we leave for the summer. Everyone of them made a point to say how much they have been inspired by you and how impressed they are with what you are doing.
We are happy to have been assigned Rose and her family as our adoptees and are looking forward to doing our bit and helping them to a better life.
It has been great seeing all the pictures together with the narratives.
Have a safe journey home.
Love, Grandma and Ahwah, Maureen and Pete

psurprenant16 said...

Dear Luke and Gene,

It's in the faces of the lives you are touching, that even this far way I can tell, you are reaching the hearts of so many. I am teary as I look at each picture and see you in the hands and hearts of others. How fotunate that you could see a grander calling and make a difference. How fortune we are to see though your eyes. I'm so proud of you both. Know the Lincoln community is behind you and will continue to do so as this life time adventure, so rich in humanity and humility, serves so many in such inconceivable ways!

Take care! With Love, Pam George

Princess said...

Hey guys! I just love the pictures you have posted. I especially like the last two with Gene's balancing act and the pic with the women making the PB&J. Your blog is refreshment to my soul. Thanks so much for sharing!
God Bless!

Bill Weaver said...

Gene & Luke,
Love the blog and am so proud of both of you!!!!! Keep it up. Deb and I just got back from San Francisco and Lake Tahoe. Had an awesome trip and did some pretty cool mountain biking. Lain and Kal have been at Lake Erie for the past week and from what I can understand have been catching quite a few fish (smallies, largemouth, bluegill, and sheepshead). Those kids are a chip off the old block.. Ha Ha. Can't wait to hear more about your trip. Love you both.
Billy

Anonymous said...

Wow! What an inspiration you have been. I too was teary eyed as I was looking through pictures and thinking the difference you are making in so many lives. One of the most touching parts to me is the smiles on your faces and those that you are helping. Thank you for all that you are doing to make this one of the most memorable experiences, not only for you, but those in Africa!

TAke Care,

Susan Vivian

Anonymous said...

Luke, I don't have the words to tell you how proud I am to know you. Your fun, caring, thoughtful, dedicated, and quirky personality is at work in Africa. What an accomplishment! As I see you interact with all your new friends I know that bonds are being created and futures are being touched far beyond what you can imagine right now.
Gene, your insights are thoughtful and honest. I can see the dedication you both have for the work you are doing.
I am inspired and touched.
With love,
Ashley Kozlik

Susie and Bill said...

Gene and Luke,
Both Dad and I are blown away by the writings and pictures we've been seeing each day! You are both a blessing to those on your team and in Uganda as well as to both of us! We are so very proud of you!
Love,
Mom (Mamms) and Dad (Papps)

Anonymous said...

Gene and Luke,
Thank you so much for the pictures and updates. I love seeing the progress you've made in the village. Please tell the people there that we are praying for them. We continue to pray for you guys as you touch all those African lives for Jesus. Luke looks like he's having a great time with the children. I love seeing all the smiling faces!
In Him,
Jacque O'Connor (Tom and Derrick too)

Anonymous said...

It has been exciting to see all y'all have been doing...How encouraging it is!!!
Very cool how the Dad came out to help y'all build the church!
Our prayers are with you.

Anonymous said...

It has been exciting to see all y'all have been doing...How encouraging it is!!!
Very cool how the Dad came out to help y'all build the church!
Our prayers are with you.

Anonymous said...

Gene and Luke,

You guys are unbelievable. Great work, and very inspirational for us mere mortals. However, I am a little concerned about your dancing form, hopefully it won't have affected the locals too deeply:-)

Keep up the good work and safe journey home.

Matt Dwyer

Anonymous said...

Dear Luke and Gene, It is a miracle taking place that you both and your team has the opportunity to do god's work in another country. I was so blown away by this web site, that I could not believe you were so far in just a few days. I hope that someday I am able to give this unbelievable gift and to pass on to others your fine humble example. Please tell these families that our family is also praying for them in a faraway place. We miss you both on this Friday evening, Pat, Diana, Patrick, and Ryan. PS, USA Crosstown update: Cubs, Sweep 1st round, Sox win one second round.

Anonymous said...

Updates from Mom here:
Hi Guys -- Luke, have you checked your emails? Uncle Bob says he sent you one. He says you look like Bonno in the photos and very at peace and at ease in such drastically different surroundings. He read JJ's blog and is a big fan. He has invited her to L.A. and he will help her get a foot in there if she wants to go. He is going to be doing shows singing his music from the Bridge movie. He said she could perform too, come out for the shooting of the movie, whatever she wants. He said he will help her out in LA if that's something she is interested in. I saw Cody at the pet shop. He said to say hi. A lot of the moms here have been showing your friends (their kids) the photos. They are amazed. I was im'ing with Nick Scotti last night.He was going to check your blog out. The good news: I am getting your room all dust free and clean for you. The bad news: I vacuumed up the cords to the wii. They are all stuck in the roller brush. Bummer, about the vacuum. Tell Mike not to worry. His X-Box is all packed up, and I will bring it to the airport. I bet he is having withdrawls. Ryan Shell came over and fed Cooper some Goliath Worms. I couldn't do it. I think Cooper misses you. He seems depressed. He will be glad to see you. Wyatt is going to a b'day party today. Axle still seems house broken. He is being a good pup. He can escape thru the fence under the deck now, and he got into something awful, so he can't go out there until we make some changes. Can't wait to see you guys on Monday!!! Love, MOM

Anonymous said...

hi luke and gene. i miss u guys. u did some great work. i wish i was there put then again i wouldond want to take any shots! lol!

Job Pedro said...

FINALLY FREE FROM HERPES VIRUSI thought my life had nothing to offer anymore because lifebecame meaningless to me because I had Herpes virus, thesymptoms became very severe and bold and made my familyrun from and abandoned me so they won't get infected. I gaveup everything, my hope, dreams,vision and job because thedoctor told me there's no cure. I consumed so many drugs butthey never cured me but hid the symptoms inside me makingit worse. I was doing some research online someday when Icame across testimonies of some people of how DR Ebhotacured them from Herpes, I never believed at first and thoughtit was a joke but later decided to contact him on the detailsprovided and when I messaged him we talked and he sent mehis herbal medicine and told me to go for a test after twoweeks. Within 7 days of medication the symptomsdisappeared and when I went for a test Lo and behold I wasNEGATIVE by the Doctor Who tested me earlier. Thank you DREbhota because I forever owe you my life and I'll keep ontelling the world about you. If you are going through samesituation worry no more and contact DR Ebhota viadrebhotasolution@gmail. com or WhatsApp him via +2348089535482.he also special on cureing 1. HIV/AIDS2. HERPES 3. CANCER 4.ALS 5. HEPATITIS B 6.DIABETES 7. HUMAN PAPILOMA VIRUS DISEASE(HPV)8. ALZHEIMER 9. LUPUS (Lupus Vulgaris or LupusErythematosus